Research activities at CPE Lyon
Situated on one of the largest and most productive scientific campuses in France, the LyonTech – La Doua, CPE Lyon is home to laboratories at the forefront of technology, with renowned researchers including 3 Nobel Prize winners.
CPE Lyon takes advantage from essential partnerships with CNRS, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Ecole Centrale Lyon, INSA Lyon to lead researches in 6 teaching and research fields:
- organic chemistry,
- chemical analysis
- catalysis, polymers and materials
- chemical engineering
- image and signal processing
- 5 joined research units working under the authority of CNRS, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1, Ecole Centrale Lyon or INSA Lyon, and CPE Lyon.
- 400 researchers among whom 200 PhD students
- More than 200 scientific publications and patents per year
Education through research:
Based on the research laboratories and major technological resources, the research aspect is very apparent in the education provided by CPE Lyon. Consequently students complete a research project in year 4.
In the last year they can follow one of the 14 research Masters in chemistry – process engineering or digital sciences, and then follow on with a thesis.
Most laboratory researchers as well as PhD students participate in theoretical and practical teaching at the school.
Research for industry:
The Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region is one of the nuclei in the chemicals, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, biotechnological and biomedical industries (Total, Solvay, Mérial, Bio Mérieux, Boiron, Sanofi Pasteur, Bluestar Silicones, …).
It is also at the leading edge in the field of IT and electronics (STMicroelectronics, Orange, Sopra, Altran…) with clear orientations towards nanotechnologies, materials, optics and vision on the main sites (Grenoble, Lyon and Saint-Étienne).
Research topics in Chemistry – chemical engineering
Institute of molecular and supramolecular chemistry and biochemistry (ICBMS – UMR 5246)
Institute under the authority of Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 / CNRS / INSA Lyon / CPE Lyon.
- Synthetic chemistry and biochemistry
- New catalytic processes
- Green chemistry concerns
- New reaction media
- Biobased chemical : glycochemistry, peptide, nucleotide chemistry, chemistry of lipid
- Drug discovery and medicinal chemistry
Chemical engineering and automatic control research unit (LAGEP – UMR 5007)
Research unit under the authority of Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 / CNRS / CPE Lyon
The LAGEP laboratory develops its research activities at the interface of Engineeering and Health sciences :
- Pharmaceutical engineering
- Solid engineering
- Nonlinear systems and processes
- Process dynamics and control of systems of conservation laws
Chemistry, catalysis, polymers and processes research unit (C2P2 – UMR 5265)
Research unit under the authority of Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 / CNRS / CPE Lyon divided into 2 research teams:
- Surface organometallic chemistry (COMS) group
- Chemistry and processes of polymerisation (CPP) group
Catalytic process engineering research unit (LGPC – UMR 5285)
Research unit under the authority of CNRS / CPE Lyon
- Catalytic reactors
- Kinectic of catalytic reactions
- Catalyst design
More details about research units in chemistry – chemical engineering and associated teams
Research topics in digital sciences and smart systems
Researchers in digital sciences from CPE Lyon work closely with different research units:
Lyon Institute of Nanotechnology (INL – UMR 5270)
Research unit under the authority of CNRS / Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1 / Ecole Centrale de Lyon / INSA Lyon / CPE Lyon
The INL conducts multidisciplinary research in micro- and nanotechnologies, comprising four main fields of study:
- Functional Materials
- Photonics and Photovoltaics
- Biotechnology and Medical Engineering
Hubert Curien laboratory (LHC – UMR 5516)
Research unit under the authority of CNRS / Université Jean Monnet de Saint-Etienne / Institut d’Optique-Graduate school.
Research activities are organized according to two scientific departments:
- Optics, photonics and microwave
- Computer science, telecom and image
The research activity is structured into scientific projects within 6 main teams:
- Micro/nano structuring,
- Radiation-matter interaction,
- Image science & computer vision,
- Data intelligence,
- Connected intelligence
- Secure embedded systems & hardware architectures
Centre of innovation in telecommunications and integration of service (CITI lab)
CITI is an academic laboratory associated with INSA Lyon and INRIA. The CITI laboratory develops research activities bringing together computer science, networking, and digital communications to address the challenging issues related to the development of Internet.
CITI aims at “connecting objects, connecting people, connecting companies to build the digital world”:
- Wireless networking
- Embedded systems
- Middleware and distributed systems.
- Personal data
More details about research units in digital sciences and associated teams
Scientific Director: Claude De Bellefon
Phone number : +33 4 72 43 17 00